EVERGLADES FOREVER PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST
January 31, 2014
Photography Contest is now closed.
Contest winner to be Announced January 31, 2014.
Link to Everglades Forever Project page for More Information and Photography Contest Winners
Babies, Blooms, and Butterflies
March 8 & 9, 2014
Noon to 4 p.m. Daily
- A Flurry of Butterflies - Fly away on the wings of a butterfly! Join us in the museum backyard as we release last winter's caterpillars into the sky as they complete their last stage of metamorphosis. Participate in lab activities that advance the science behind this beautiful insect's journey from tiny pupa to creature of flight!
- Butterfly Release and Raffle - We will have one release at 1:30 and another release at 3:30 both days - Saturday and Sunday. We will be raffling off butterflies for the release. People can pick up their raffle tickets at the butterfly table in the EcoDiscovery Center and we will host the raffle 15 minutes before the release times in the backyard. Guests must be present to win.
- Make and Take - Partake in a variety of kids activities including floral chromatography (imprinting) and paper flower making and bring touches of spring back to your home that will last into summer.
- South Florida Bird Club -
Why do birds migrate south for the winter? Uncover this and many other springtime factoids with a special presentation by the South Florida Bird Club and some special winged friends!
- Eco-Gardening Techniques -
Tower Gardens green-thumb will point you in the right direction of today’s coolest and most innovative sustainable gardening techniques. Topics include hydroponics and plants that make a healthier and happier YOU.
- Flight of the Butterflies 3D -
Through spectacular 3D imagery, witness beautiful butterflies flying off the screen into your arms on the BIGGEST screen in South Florida.
Fitness Fun Overnight Camp-In Adventure
FOR ALL GIRL SCOUTS! - Daisies, Brownies, and Juniors
Saturday March 15, 2014
6:30 p.m. Saturday until 8:00 a.m. Sunday morning
Join us for an exclusive evening of Dance, Games, and Health. Earn your Dance Brownie Badge or your Junior Healthy living badge while enjoying over 300 Museum exhibits!
The Overnight is open to any size Girl Scout troop!
Our special Fitness activities include:
- Learn a new and exciting dance with a professional Zumba fitness instructor.
- Fun games such as a three-legged races, Wii dance games, balloon volleyball, and many more.
- Learn how to Hula for Health with Lei Pasifika Ohana Company
- Explore the power of the human heart and test your steady hands in our Powerful You Exhibit, which showcases the amazing miracle of your body and the tools used by health professionals to keep you healthy
- Meet the Museum’s resident animals and learn about their diets, their hunting techniques, and natural environment
Fee: $44.00 Per Scout and $28.00 Adult Chaperone includes:
- Spending the night at the Museum
- IMAX movie: Journey to the South Pacific 3D
- Exploration of the Museum’s Exhibits and Activities: Including the Powerful You! Exhibit
- Pizza Dinner
- Getting up close and personal with our animal ambassadors
ADVANCED RESERVATION REQUIRED
For Information and Reservations, call 954.713.0930
or Email: email@example.com
Lady Bug Release
March 21 – 26, 2014
Noon to 4 p.m. Daily
What's black and red and has spots all over? Lady bugs! Their istinctive spots and attractive colors are meant to make them unappealing to predators. Spend the day discovering how important this cute bug is to keeping balance in our ecosystem.
- Ladybug Release -
Help us release tens of thousands of ladybugs in our outdoor park. Learn about ladybug myths and folklore and how they grow and survive in the wild. Then take a handful of ladybugs and set them free! There are plenty of ladybugs for everyone. Don’t worry, they do not bite humans.
- Scavenger Hunt -
Want to know how Ladybugs fit into Earth's grand scheme of things? Connect the dots with a museum-wide scavenger hunt that has guests flying to every corner of the Museum to discover how ladybugs keep our local ecosystems working.
- Camouflage Game Show -
Just like ladybugs, there are many other animals that use camouflage to help them hide and protect themselves from nature's elements and predators. Participate in a camouflage game show that will test your knowledge about some of nature's wildest hidden wonders.
Spring Into Action
March 27 – 30, 2014
Noon to 4 p.m. Daily
Join Broward Health professionals each day for presentations in the Keller Science Theater. Plus, Broward Health professionals will be available in the Powerful You! Exhibit daily until 4 p.m. to answer health questions for Museum guests.
- Meditative Martial Arts -
Find your "center" through aikido! One of Broward's premiere dojos will conduct interactive demonstrations to teach visitors of all ages how to bring peace and balance through physical activity.
- The Genetic History Mystery! 2:30 p.m. presentation
Discover what you're made of - literally! Enjoy a presentation on National Geographic's Human Genome Project which chronicles the breadth of our DNA through both time and history. Volunteer to uncover the roots of your family tree in front of the audience.
- The Body Lab -
What makes our body tick? Which muscles move what? What do we need to survive? Check out the interactive body lab and find out what makes our body operate under its best conditions. Other activities include making creepy-crawly body organs, and a special presentation of our "guts goo and poo" lab.
- 1:30 p.m. PRESENTATIONS
• March 27: Dietitian/Nutrition
• March 28: Athletic Trainers/ Sports Medicine
• March 29: Exercise Physiologists/ Exercise Demo
• March 30: Fitness Demonstrations
19TH ANNUAL BANK OF AMERICA
WINE, SPIRITS, AND CULINARY CELEBRATION
Friday, April 4, 2014
The Museum of Discovery and Science will host its 19th Annual Bank of America Wine, Spirits and Culinary Celebration on Friday, April 4, 2014. The event is presented by Bank of America and all proceeds benefit the Museum.
Last year’s Wine, Spirits, and Culinary Celebration set an attendance record with over 2,000 guests. This year’s event will seek to top that record, showcasing a sequence of wine or spirits with food pairings, each bound to delight, educate and entertain guests and their palates.
The highlights of the evening are tastings from nearly 50 of South Florida’s leading restaurants, and a vast array of wines and spirits from around the world, courtesy of beverage sponsor Southern Wine and Spirits.
There will also be an assortment of craft beers to taste. Visitors will also have an opportunity to bid on some amazing silent auction prizes. Each guest will receive a complimentary Riedel wine glass.
The evening will start off with an exclusive VIP Martini Reception from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. VIP guests will enjoy an exclusive seminar as well as early tasting. The VIP evening concludes with exclusive access to the ultra-chic Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort VIP Lounge to eat, drink and dance under the stars from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. on the Museum’s Atrium.
The evening attire is City Chic. Special seminars include a champagne tasting by “Champagne Wayne” at 7:00 and a wine tasting by Big 105.9’s Paul Castronovo at 8:00. Seminars will be held in the Keller Science Theater.
More Information Here
- Doors open for VIP admission at 6:00 p.m. and to general admission at 7:30 p.m.
- VIP tickets are $150 per person and general admission tickets are $85 per person. Presale tickets are available at a reduced rate through March 2, 2014 with VIP tickets reduced to $135 per person and general admission tickets reduced to $75 per person. For advance tickets please call (954) 713-0954 or on-line at www.modsevents.org.
- Guests are encouraged to share in excitement of the event through social media by posting pictures of the event on Museum of Discovery and Science Facebook Page and Tweeting @IMAXSOFL and #MODSWCC.
For advance tickets please call 954.713.0954.
April 5 & 6, 2014
Noon to 4 p.m. Daily
Be immersed into the world of Lemurs! See the new 3D IMAX film Island of Lemurs: Madagascar then find out more about these amazing creatures from The Lemur Conservation Foundation during a special Q & A after select shows.
- Saving The Lemurs - Lee Nesler Director and CEO of the Lemur Conservation Foundation -
Join us for a special presentation that discusses how scientists work to make our planet a safe and bountiful home for this unique species
- Become a Lemur! - See if you have what it takes to survive as a Lemur! Activities include a Lemur-themed obstacle course and mask-making. Surprises abound in this interactive playground for guests of all ages.
Joey’s Egg Hunt
April 18 – 20, 2014
1 p.m. - 4 p.m. Daily
Hop (or waddle) along with Joey the Otter in search of colorful eggs left by Joey himself! Select eggs will include fun prizes, candy treats or discounts to family entertainment activities at the Museum.
- Activity Lab -
Create fun items to wear on Joey’s Egg Hunt! Enjoy “ear-making” and coloring stations along with some surprise weekend activities.
ASIAN-PACIFIC AMERICAN HERITAGE CELEBRATION
May 3 & 4, 2014
May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, a celebration of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States. Join us for our Second Annual Asian- Pacific American Heritage Celebration.
- Enjoy dance shows, music, food tasting, cultural games
- Demonstrations and arts and crafts showcasing the cultures of Asia and the South Pacific.
- Polynesian Proud Productions -
Presentations by Polynesian Proud Productions will take you on a journey to the Pacific islands of Hawaii, Tahiti, New Zealand and Samoa.
- “Big Kahuna” Surf School -
Hang ten with surf lessons from the Big Kahuna while learning about the history and evolution of surfing.
- Ronin Taiko Japanese Drummers -
Be amazed by the power and precision of these spectacular drummers!
Link to More Information